Hourly; Non-Exempt Status
Reports To: Shelter Program Manager
General Purpose: Responsible for implementing the facility’s structured child care program and for providing an environment of consistent structure, guidance and nurturance in the shelter.
- Participates as a member of the Interdisciplinary Team to meet the physical, emotional, and social needs of the childrens, as outlined in each child’s plan of service.
- Helps provide a living style that is growth producing and which stimulates self-confidence, trust, and love of people. Remains attentive to the physical, emotional, and academic growth of the children under their supervision.
- Utilizes the therapeutic approach to improve children’s self-image, learn effective problem solving skills and daily living skills
- Facilitate environments that encourage children to practice resolving problems as a simulated family unit
- Provide opportunities to set individual and group goals.
- Develop a simulated family unit culture in which each member plays an active role in providing constructive feedback to each other.
- Facilitate discussions that encourages children to take part of including group activities.
- Provides continual recognition of children’s strengths and gradual succesess.
4. Maintains an awareness of the needs of children and is attentive to creative changes in program.
- Communicates information through various means to the other Childcare Specialists regarding issues that may impact their shifts while working with the children.
- Work colaboratively with Client Services Coordinators
- Provide transportation to children as needed.
- Monitors and coordinates children’s activities, behaviors and locations.
5. Administration of precription medication
6. Emphasizes safety of the children through supervision and awareness.
7. Supervises and participates in daily acitivities with children.
8. Maintains home, including living quarters, grounds and backyard area to ensure a clean and orderly manner. Reports needed repairs to Directors.
9. Reports immediately any suspected child abuse/neglect of a child.
10. Participates in training, staff meetings and supervisory conferences to develop and enhance childcare skills.
11. Maintains medical records, daily report sheets and incident reports as necessary.
12. Emphasizes safety to keep injuries to a minimum.
13. Answer phones,complete crisis sheets and provide referrals as needed
14. Performs other assignments and duties as requested
16. Follows Universal Precaution procedures as appropriate
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- Ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force continuously to move objects and/or people.
- Good depth perception and field of vision required.
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist, turn, reach, lift, carry, pull, climb, and kneel, with approximately 50% of the time spent walking and standing.
- Ability to recognize differences in sound, such as voices/noises that are loud and playful instead of angry and combative, and the ability to differentiate tone and volumes in conversations.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- High School Degree or equivalent is required. Some college or college degree is preferred.
- Age 21 or older to meet the needs for the vehicle insurance.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with children in a therapeutic/residential setting or related experience.
- Current Texas driver’s license with insurance and provide DPS proof of driving record acceptable to agency insurers for the past three (3) years.
- Must submit to pre-employment drug screen as well as random drug screens when directed.
- Have a required of TB testing showing employee is free of contagious TB.
- Submit to a criminal background check, FBI background check, and DFPS background check as required by regulatory agencies.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written. Effective organizational skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public. Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision, if needed.
- CPR Certification must be current or be obtained within 60 days of hire and renewed as required by regulatory standards. Current first aid and Emergency Behavior Intervention as required by regulatory standards.
- Sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work that have infectious disease or skin lesion, for the duration of the communicability.
- This position is funded through state and federal funds and is subject to termination if funding ceases.
Please send your resume to Buchi Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.